[78-L] Blockbuster dying??

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 16 13:40:59 PDT 2009

Remember when Betamax was almost a generic term? A Rhino track even had a
reference to someone named Betamax Horowitz. I didn't get into home video for a
couple of years and it was when I got to Edmonton in October 1982. There were
no format wars out there..everything was VHS except for one cult store which
carried only Beta. Tapes rented for $4 a night at several locations around
town. Videodiscs (CED) were still around, for rent at a lot more mom 'n' pop
locations (and gas stations!) than tapes, and were available for free at the
public libraries. If you wanted a PLAYER, that was a bit more
difficult..usually a $10 per day rental.

My first VCR, a rental, had a remote control..a pause button on a long cord.

dl