[78-L] HMV C series

Matthew Duncan duncdude2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 14 12:22:53 PDT 2009

Hi all
Thanks to those who gave info on my recent 40s 78s on the HMV C series pressed in Britain.

I am currently putting together some text files that I intend to use for a future website of mine that I hope to well on the way with by early next year.

I understand that the HMV label is covered in many ways already on the net and there are many other UK labels I am intending to 'showcase' on my site.

But this query of mine is more just a general one concerning HMV's C series of 12" records.

I understand the C series of plum labelled 12" double sided discs began by HMV in 1912 at number C1 and I have examples of the label from the 1910s, 20s, 30s and 40s. I know there are popular dance tunes (mostly lengthy medleys), light classical, some opera and light vocal, show tunes, orchestrated jazz and choral music among other things on the label and during and after 1945 the label used sepia labels for the dog and gramophone picture as opposed to colour ones previously (black and white in WW1).

My main question is: does anyone know when the last C series 78 was issued.  I have read that HMV began to pull classical 78s from their catalogue in the early 50s and most of what remained post 1952 or so was records that had been in the catalogue for a long time (up to 30 years by the mid 50s) and not much in the way of new recordings were made except a few issued in the DA and DB light red 'serious' classical series.
I imagine classical 78s on HMV were all but gone by the late 50s and the last records to be pulled in 1960 were pop records in the B and POP series runs, for example there were still B series Paul Robeson records made in the early 30s still in the catalogue in the Summer of 1959!

Any thoughts would be appreciated...especially if anyone knows the catalogue number of the last C series disc.

Regards
Matthew