[78-L] Just curious.. ^

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 14 00:57:11 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
To: "78L" <78-L at 78online.com>
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 5:53 AM
Subject: [78-L] Just curious.. ^

>I didn't own a computer until July 2000. Since then, I've received my fair
> share of the usual crap e-mail we all get and we've all learned to tune
> out.
> But tonight, here's an old favorite, from somebody who's dying of
> something and
> who wants to make amends and leave me GBP20M..and the wording hasn't
> changed in
> nine years, even down to the typos and spelling mistakes ("it has defiled
> all
> form of medicine"). Don't they get tired of playing this game? Hasn't
> anybody
> ever noticed that it doesn't work? Okay, except for the 3 idiots Oprah
> interviews every so often.
>
> Just wondering....
>
> dl

I'm never certain whether 'they' really expect to catch a sucker or just
pump the crap out to slow down the net and/or achieve a partial Denial of
Service. Fortunately my ISP filters most of this spam out and I usually only
see evidence of it when checking my mailboxes on the server. It does seem
though the volume of spam has dropped from the time earlier this year when
the undersea cables twixt N. Africa and Europe developed faults - since
cleared. About 18 months ago, my ISP was filtering out about 160/200 per
day, this is now down to about 50 per week. Of those I might see a couple
which sneak through.
~~
John D