[78-L] Martin Williams (was: Blistering exchange between Leonard Feather and Chris Albertson

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 17:03:31 PDT 2009

Thank you for sharing these. I was off this list for awhile and haven't
heard these before.

When I was editorial director at WB Publishing, I worked with Artis on two
book projects. Her work was beyond meticulous, and I can well believe that
she was mortified when told about the edits. She was a wonderful pianist who
used to laugh out loud when she played some of Gershwin's trickier passages.
Wonderful memories.

I also remember well the issues with the Gershwin broadcasts. At the time, I
was preparing Gershwin Facsimile Editions of four of his orchestral works,
and I was going through all sorts of nonsense with the representatives of
the estate. They were freaking out about the fact that in 1988, Gershwin
would become public domain in several European countries, and the thought of
all that money being lost was driving some of the descendants crazy. The
subject of the broadcasts came up in the office, and of course no one had
heard them but me.

Jeff Sultanof