[78-L] Adelaide Hall w/ Art Tatum

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 13 04:50:04 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> One of my desert island vocal records is the Adelaide Hall Brunswick (1932)
> of "Strange As It Seems."  A few questions have I about it...
>
> Rust suggests the usual fall-back of Mannie Kline on trumpet.  That nevr
> sounded right to me,  and the 2002 bio of Adelaide Hall suggests either
> Kline or Charlie Teagarden.  I've just listened to both takes several times
> and am convinced that it's Charlie...any thoughts?
>
> Neither the discography in the Hall bio or Rust mention a string bass,  but
> there is one,  although the recording sound of it is somewhat dampened.  Or
> am I hearing things?
>
> And...it's noted as Art Tatum's first recording session,  although there are
> two pianos listed,  the other being Francis J. Carter.  I assume that the
> piano solo in the middle of the record is just Tatum playing,  right?
>
> I have the first take on an English Br and I have the second take on this
> very odd no-label hunk of flexy black vinyl...no # in the run off or
> anywhere else...one sided...but it is clearly a master pressing and not a
> dub.  The blank reverse looks like it has some glue residue on it
> from...something?   Any idea of the source for this?

> Taylor
==============
I have take A on LP Collectors Items 011 ("Strange as it seems" Art
Tatum"), which suggests Teagarden or Klein, but doesn't mention the bass
player, and on CD Conifer CDHD 169, which does mention the bass as
unknown, and the option of choice of trumpets. Incidentally, both
remasterings were done by JRTD, but the CD is inferior to the LP!

I have take B on Meritt 24 ("Jazz Potpourri Vol.2"), which only mentions
Teagarden, but omits the bass player, who sounds to me like Artie
Bernstein. I don't hear anything resembling Klein.

Hall is definitely no jazz singer!

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4420 (20090912) __________

http://www.eset.com