[78-L] Adelaide Hall w/ Art Tatum

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Sep 12 17:51:00 PDT 2009

One of my desert island vocal records is the Adelaide Hall Brunswick (1932)
of "Strange As It Seems."  A few questions have I about it...

Rust suggests the usual fall-back of Mannie Kline on trumpet.  That nevr
sounded right to me,  and the 2002 bio of Adelaide Hall suggests either
Kline or Charlie Teagarden.  I've just listened to both takes several times
and am convinced that it's Charlie...any thoughts?

Neither the discography in the Hall bio or Rust mention a string bass,  but
there is one,  although the recording sound of it is somewhat dampened.  Or
am I hearing things?

And...it's noted as Art Tatum's first recording session,  although there are
two pianos listed,  the other being Francis J. Carter.  I assume that the
piano solo in the middle of the record is just Tatum playing,  right?

I have the first take on an English Br and I have the second take on this
very odd no-label hunk of flexy black vinyl...no # in the run off or
anywhere else...one sided...but it is clearly a master pressing and not a
dub.  The blank reverse looks like it has some glue residue on it
from...something?   Any idea of the source for this?

Last  thing...I have a  1926 Truetone Okeh of Francis J. Carter playing The
Birth of the Blues b/w I Wonder What's Become of Joe.  That's the only thing
of his listed in Rust....did he ever make any other solo records,  maybe
post-1942?

Thanks for any info.

Taylor