[78-L] Blistering exchange between Leonard Feather and Chris Albertson

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Sep 12 22:53:08 PDT 2009

The more I read here about Leonard Feather, the more he reminds me of
Martin Williams, another pompous @ss!  I've told this story before, but
at the Rochester ARSC conference the year after Martin died, there was a
session upstairs in the smaller classroom auditorium named after Howard
Hanson, and following a glowing tribute by Fred Williams about his
departed friend Don Wetzell, Phil Elwood came forward to say a few words
about Martin.  He began: "My mother always told me that if you should
not speak ill of the departed, (pause, pause, pause) but in Martin's
case I will make an exception!"  There followed a most delightful
venting of the spleen with loads of Martin Williams stories -- and I
probably added my three run-ins with him!

From: david.diehl at hensteeth.com
 > I had a nice conversation with Chris a few years back and he struck
> me as a very straightforward guy who was more than a little weary
> of dealing with inflated egos like Feather's.

Likewise I've been a fan of Chris Albertson ever since his "Inside With
Uncle Chris" late night radio program on WBAI in the mid-60s, and have
had a couple of nice email exchanges with him.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com