[78-L] Alternate Folkway Jazz Vol 6

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sat Sep 12 16:48:43 PDT 2009

 There was also a controversy with Folkways, Vol. 3, the New Orleans LP. Apparently, Moe Asch used one of the Bunk Johnson sides recorded by Jazz Man in 1942 without getting permission. The Jazz Man 78 was still available - and readily so. Back then, the label wasn't just a regional one. I've written an entire chapter on this episode in my forthcoming book on the Jazz Man Record Shop. This whole incident prompted a war of words in The Record Changer, Marili Morden decrying Asch's purloining of JM material and Bill Grauer, speaking for RC, who said that pirating was OK so long as the material was unavailable. Morden and Circle Records' Rudi Blesh were threatening a lawsuit against Folkways (who had used a Kid Rena track of theirs), but Jazz Man settled for an unspecified amount and the promise that Folkways would remove the Johnson track from their LP. I have a later pressing of it, probably from the '60s, and it's still there. The title is "Down By the Riverside." Does anyone know if it was ever removed?

Cary Ginell