[78-L] Day of Infamy Speech

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Sep 11 20:28:28 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bud Black" <banjobud at cfl.rr.com>
> I'm sure that I used to have a Columbia recording of FDR's declaration of
> war.

My 78 is on the "WOR" label; this suggests it was taken from a broadcast
on that station! My guess is that given the importance of the speech (which
involved the US in World War II!), it was simultaneously broadcast on ALL
radio networks (as well as "local" non-network stations?!)! Backin "them
days," one often heard "We interrupt this broadcast for an important
announcement!"

I don't even know if this practice exists among modern radio stations?!
IF it does, it was more likely used to announce the demise of Michael
Jackson...?!

Steven C. Barr