[78-L] recording off telephone

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Sep 9 11:20:56 PDT 2009

For some years now, I've been using a Sony Minidisc recorder. You can get a patchcord that connects the recorder (via a mini-plug) to a phone jack. The problem with this is that you need to plug a headset into the recorder in order to hear what the person on the other end is saying. For them to hear you, you have to talk into the phone mouthpiece. It's a jerryrigged system at best, but if the material isn't being broadcast, it makes for a good documentation device.

Another way, which I haven't tried yet, is to use Skype, which channels the other person's audio through your computer's speakers. Then, it's just a matter of setting up an open mike in front of the speakers to capture the sound.

Cary Ginell