[78-L] recording off telephone

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 9 11:02:11 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 10:57 -0700, Eric Goldberg wrote:
> I will be doing some phone interviews that I wish to record directly on my computer. Can anyone suggest an easy, but inexpensive, way to do this.
>
> These interviews will be with some doowop singers whose recordings might have been released on 78s, so this query does have a 78 connection.

Heh. The way we used to do it when I was a pup was put one of those
suction-cup induction pickups over the "network" area on the body of the
phone. I suspect that modern phones don't work that way.

If you have access to a radio station I might suggest asking to use (or
rent) an unused studio and conduct your interview through the telephone
hybrid. If you can do that, record it in "stereo" with your voice on one
track and the "receive" from the hybrid on the other. That way any "fuzz
feedback" from your own voice can be muted, and you'll have a cleaner
mono mixdown.

MS