[78-L] Down Home Music on its last legs

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Sep 8 20:16:06 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> From: "simmonssomer" <simmonssomer at comcast.net>
>> How about connecting your turntable to your amp-in
>> and connecting your CD Recorder to that amp out.
>> Simple-fast-and...no computer need apply.  Al Simmons
> I don't recall Steve mentioning that he had a CD Recorder.  You have to
> have one in order to connect the amp out to it.  And come to think of
> it, he didn't mention having an amp, only a Sony reel to reel recorder.
> I think that it might also have served as his amp. And if he is not to
> use a computer, how will the digitized recordings get on-line?  That IS
> his purpose.  Actually it seems from his postings that his problem for
> the past six months or more is getting a wire connected to his
> cartridge.

Now to clarify a bit...

First, I no longer own the Sony r2r deck; it was one of the first things
grabbed
when a few EX-friends decided to simplify my move to Oshawa by holding an
impromptu "contents sale!" This was further complicated by the fact that
they
knew SFA about the values and/or prices of my stuff; they were quickly and
easily played for suckers by many/most of their buyers. Currently, I'm
trying to
create a set-up where the output of a ceramic record-player cartridge is
plugged
into the "Line In" jack of my computer; this is complicated by the fact that
age
and a possible minor stroke have robbed me of much of my fine motor
dexterity...?!

Second, my idea is to feed digital sound signals (created by playing 78's
into
that "Line In" jack!) into the CD "burner" of my computer! Once I have my
78's on CD-R, I can then copy them as many times as I see fit. Note that one
important aspect here is the fact that up here in Canada, all sound
recordings
fixed before January 1, 1959 are "public domain" (I hope this date isn't
moved backward if/when our Copyright laws are re-written?!).

My old system (the Sony r2r machine served as the main part of my audio
system, and the cartridge output of a c.1960 RCA "record player" was fed
into a 1/4' "phone plug" plugged into the Sony deck) with a cassette deck
also included. Thus, I could cassette-tape 78's to give to DL for broadcast
use (and ofyen DID!).

IF I can feed a cassette-machine output into my system somehow, I can
then digitize and "web-ize" a lot of my 200-odd cassettes I recorded of my
own blues band back in the late seventies! I'm also planning to create my
own web site (I do "speak" HTML fairly well!) which should offer examples
of my musical "accomplishments;" in fact, I may also merchandise the two
CD's I have already made!

When one is trying to live on one's old-age-pension money (and one's
"Social Security" pension seems effectively inaccessible...?!), one adds
to that by whatever means are not blatantly illegal...?!

Steven C. Barr