[78-L] music for exercising

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Mon Sep 7 12:14:17 PDT 2009

I just found an advertisement from mid August 1922 for Victor
Records-- it was in a number of newspapers.  It advertised a
"Portable Victrola No. 50" and a set of exercise records.  As you all
know, I am not an expert in the machines of the 78 era-- so, was
there a portable Victrola number 48 or 49, or was 50 just a brand
name?  Also, what  were the records that went along with the
record-player?  The ad says the records were specially designed to be
used in an exercise regimen-- but it doesn't explain what songs they
were.  It just says they will enable people to "Exercise to
Music".  The records are only described as "three double-faced Victor
Records for Health Exercises," sold in a "compact container" and
planned by an (alleged) authority named Professor Charles H. Collins.
Any further explanation would be very interesting for me, and I'd
appreciate it.