[78-L] Belt for Edison Standard Phonograph

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 7 00:01:25 PDT 2009

Mike Biel Wrote:

> When you mention that you have gotten belts from two vendors, were
> these
> phonograph parts vendors, or just leather-craft vendors?  Fresh leather
> will be stiffer than old oil-soaked leather that has been on the
> machine
> for over 90 years.

I got the material from phonograph parts vendors, but as I said, it looks
very different from the material that the old belt was made from.  For
starters, it's much thicker, and has a slick side and a slightly more
"furry" side.  Mike, you mention oil-soaked leather.  Is that something I
should look into for my replacement belt?

> Ron mentioned thinning the ends.  Are you doing
> that?  This means using a razor blade and shaving away some of the
> thickness of both ends that you overlap.  The two tips should be
> brought
> down to a very thin edge.  You also need to use a very pliable glue,
> and
> things like Elmers will NOT do.

Yes, I did try to follow the instructions provided by the vendors as best I
could.  Perhaps I'm not overlapping them enough...Could that be why the
machine wows every time it passes the splice point?  Any suggestions on glue
other than Elmer's or super glue?

I am curious on this point:  have others used the splice and glue method
with success?  By success I mean the phonograph runs smoothly with minimal
speed variation.

Thanks for the tips, guys.  I tried to make two belts all those months ago,
and neither came out satisfactorily. I got frustrated and haven't tried
again. I've been without the pleasure of being able to play my phonograph
all that time.  I think it's now time to give it another go!

> And yes, there are several phonograph lists like the 78-L.  Steve Ramm
> is on one, something like phonolist.

I found an online phonograph forum that seems interesting.  I'll try to find
phonolist, as well.

Sammy Jones