[78-L] So what? was Re: Warner Home Video to release Shorts via Archive Series

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 1 21:29:45 PDT 2009

You will of course forgive me for not believing a word of it. "Our Gang" will
sell because it sells. The other stuff will be enthusiastically received for a
few releases but won't bring in enough to make the beancounters happy at the
end of the year and that'll be that. The ONLY way this could be viable would be
for WB to license the material to a specialty purveyor (The Vitaphone Project,
maybe?) or for a rich fairy godfather to underwrite it. It's business, pure and
simple.

This isn't cynicism, it's the real world speaking. If I had a dollar for every
series that started out with great promise and was discontinued after the first
two releases didn't measure up to expectations, and I'm talking about video and
CDs, I'd be a lot richer than I am today.

dl