[78-L] Smaller Leeds label

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Aug 29 20:39:29 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> In the same little lot where I got the  Larry Wagner record on  the
> "A-440"
> label,  I also got a nice copy of the Stan Hasselgard Capitol of Who
> Sleeps,
> a fave,  and a few old-timers as well,  including the following:
> Leeds Records No. 4096.  "Side By Side." By Favor. The Talk-O-Phone Co.
> I have several of these Leeds records all ca. 1908-11 if I recall,  and I
> like them because of the fancy gold foil labels which look like they
> should
> be on a candy box or school diploma.
> But this label,  unlike any of the several dozen other Leeds I've seen,
> is
> a smaller size,  and measures only 2.75"  in diameter.
> Has anyone else seen one of the smaller Leeds labels or are they not
> scarce
> and somehow I've just missed them before?

The early Leeds label apparently existed from c.1903 until 1905 or so...!
The
records were also issued on the Imperial label (until 1908 or 1909)...and
were
issued on a fair number of "client pressings" bearing catalog numbers with
the
same last three digits.?!

I would guess that Leeds/Imperial, like other record companies of the era,
had label sizes which varied in accordance with the available space left
once the recording nhad been mastered?!

Steven C. Barr