[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 11, Issue 59

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Aug 29 19:46:13 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Smith" <malcolms at redshift.com>
> Not so easy to adjust the speed to help the singer with high notes.
> Remember that there is typically a piano accompaniment.

BUT...only that pianist knew in which key he/she/it had been playing!
Thus, if a numer was recorded at, say, 70rpm...and played back at
77/78rpm...the singer gained considerable "apparent" range!

> There was more singing of operatic works in lowered or raised keys in
> the early period. The opera companies often had scores for arias and
> parts that were transposed.
>
>  On early records, the reality is that the speeds are all over the
> map. Pitch is not always based on 440 and the turntables were not
> well regulated. A fair number of early records change speed as one
> listens to them.

True...most record companies used a gravity-driven "weight" system
to drive their recording turntables! As well, the "accuracy" of the "78"
speed was generally open to question...at least into the forties. I am
a harmonicist...and my instruments come from their "factory" stamped
with their key! Some years ago, I set out to learn Waller's "Your
Feets Too Big" from the BB 78...and discovered it played in a key
best described as "Eb+1/2...?!"

Steven C. Barr