[78-L] Question on G & T recording speed from 1902

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Aug 28 19:59:29 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "RUSSELL BARNES" <r.barnes4 at btopenworld.com>
> I seem to recall, years ago, the correct playing speeds of vocal G&T's
> were discussed in a series of articles in 'The Record Collector' (A
> Quarterly Journal of Recorded Vocal Art)
> Magazine - published in the UK.

Classical vocal 78's were probably the first records to be SERIOUSLY
collected
(a couple of decades before jazz records were?!)...and the debate about the
correct playing speeds goes back AT LEAST as far as the collecting of
operatic vocal 78's!

Since the recording speeds were all too often "adjusted" to leave the
illusion that the "diva" could still hit a "high wotever," there is NO
practical way of establishing the recording speeds of such records?!

Thusly, the correct playing speeds of these discs has been debated
for about 90 years at the very least...while the actual data remains
unknown...nor is there ANY practical way of establishing/verifying
thereof...?!

Steven C. Barr