[78-L] Record Pricing Guides: not a new story

Stewart, Joseph R RandyStewart at MissouriState.edu
Wed Aug 26 13:54:17 PDT 2009

Mike Harkin mentioned coin and stamp price guides.  Is there as much dispute about THEIR listings are there are about RECORD price-guide listings?  No one (ESPECIALLY not dealers I've asked!!) has ever satisfactorily answered the question: if the book, coin and stamp collector hobbies have "reliable" price guides (indeed, do they?), then why is it so damned hard, not to mention contentious, with records?  Is the longevity of the book/coin/stamp hobbies compared to the relative youth of the serious record-collecting hobby, as one dealer told me a number of years ago?

Randy Stewart, Arts Producer
KSMU Radio
Missouri State University
Springfield MO