[78-L] Happy 100th, Prez!

Randy Skretvedt forwardintothepast at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 28 10:38:51 PDT 2009

I agree with Julian that Babe Russin was a very advanced tenor sax player for his time.  Last Sunday, on my "Forward Into the Past" show (shameless self-promotion: http://www.geocities.com/forwardintothepast/), I played Red Nichols' disc of "Waitin' for the Evenin' Mail," replete with vocal by Johnny "Scat" Davis.  Toward the end, there's a very intriguing tenor solo by Russin--it reminded me of Bix or Pee Wee Russell or the Boswell Sisters, all of whom were skilled at creating very unusual variations on the theme.
All the best--
Randy Skretvedt