[78-L] Tenors, anyone?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Aug 27 16:03:58 PDT 2009

> There weren't that many quality tenor saxists before 1930, apart from
> Bud Freeman and Pee Wee Russell. The rest were pretty mediocre: Prince
> Robinson, Teddy Hill, Greely Walton, Bingie Madison, Happy Cauldwell,
> Hymie Wolfson, Cecil Scott etc.These seem to fall into the "rubbery
> belch" group, and tended to use a "bumbling" approach. Fud Livingston
> was OK by me though.

Although there isn't a lot of him soloing on record (of which I'm aware
anyway) I would add Larry Binyon to the group,  if for no other reason than
his solo on the Whoopee Makers of "Whoopee Stomp."  which is certainly in
the same league as much of Freeman,  Russin and Pee Wee,  all of whom I like
very much as well.

Taylor B