[78-L] Happy 100th, Prez!

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 15:45:51 PDT 2009

David Lewis wrote:
Thanks Cary! I greatly enjoyed reading that, though I do take issue with
what I feel is the fact that there was far greater variety of tone among
sax players, even before the advent of Coleman Hawkins, than Dave Gelly
suggests. His description of a "low mooing noise" fits some Rudy
Wiedoeft and Nathan Glantz jams, perhaps: I couldn't tell you what a
"rubbery belch" sounds like, and I'm sure I've never heard it.

Otherwise, it was a great tribute piece.

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
==============
Even as late as 1929, Hawk was still playing in that belchy way (e.g.
"Hello Lola"), but he was sufficiently inventive for us to overlook it.

I think Babe Russin was the first tenor player to use a "dry" tone, and
avoid a "flabby" lower sound. In fact, he seems to have been the first
to remove any sentimentality from tenor sax playing, concentrating on
pure invention, rather like Sonny Rollins many years later. In his own
way Russin could play a "structured" solo, but in a different way from
Hawk. I can't recall Russin ever using arpeggios like Hawkins, or other
early tenor players for that matter. Like Rollins, he would take a
melody apart and put it together again. Considering his age, his playing
was quite remarkable.

There weren't that many quality tenor saxists before 1930, apart from
Bud Freeman and Pee Wee Russell. The rest were pretty mediocre: Prince
Robinson, Teddy Hill, Greely Walton, Bingie Madison, Happy Cauldwell,
Hymie Wolfson, Cecil Scott etc.These seem to fall into the "rubbery
belch" group, and tended to use a "bumbling" approach. Fud Livingston
was OK by me though.

Having said that, I have a soft spot for them all--they are like old
friends, whose names have been become so familiar over the last 53 years
of listening.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4375 (20090827) __________

http://www.eset.com