[78-L] Article in today's WSJ on the new Woody Guthrie Box

Charles Bihun csintala79 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 06:31:09 PDT 2009

Much of what Woody claimed as his own, as with A.P. Carter, was reworked stuff from the public domain or old sheet music that he original copyright holders forgot about.  Change a word or two
add a few bars and its yours.  I have some song books where it is obvious that lyrics were butchered so as to avoid paying royalties.

The natural process of passing on songs aurally had a lot to do with this, but Ralph Peer and other A&R men forced the issue to be able to get royalties.

ChuckB