[78-L] e-bay nonsense

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Mon Aug 24 05:36:03 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 1:35 AM
Subject: Re: [78-L] e-bay nonsense

> I just bid on a set of records, only to be told that I live in an area to
> which this seller will not ship. The original listing said that this
> person
> will not deal with Italy. When I pointed out that I have my orders shipped
> to a US address and they are paid for from a US account and that my
> feedback
> was 100% positive, he would not budge. He said that sometimes bids from
> Europe do get through and he doesn't know how they do it but, he said,
> it's
> too late to change his rules for me.
>
> I didn't even realize that Canada was part of Europe, but what do I know.
>
> db
>

> There is plenty of nonsense on eBay,  I agree.  But the worthy sellers far
> outnumber the goof-balls.  Since 1999 I have been involved in approx.
> 7,000
> eBay transactions,  mostly as a buyer,  and have had very little trouble.
> But I rarely bid with sellers I don't know.
>
> I don't know of any good sellers who are not happy to ship overseas,  but
> as
> I said I try to stick with the pros and stay away from the amateurs.
>
> It's really no different from a lot of other large institutions....you
> learn
> how to work with it and it can be rewarding.
>
> Taylor

Amen. I desperately needed belts for my 1974 Tandberg 6000x reel to reel
deck. I ordered them on oh-bey and received these precious parts a few days
later.  A very gratifying experience. I'm also awaiting delivery of a $20
Pioneer cassette deck (as insurance for my two older decks) and expect that
it will be another succesfull sally into the murky Oh-bey waters.
You gotta watch your step but most of the time it works out for me.

Al S.