[78-L] Rosie at peace

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Aug 22 20:04:53 PDT 2009

> Come on, Mike..she DRANK herself into obscurity for a few years, and pined
> for
> Nelson Riddle a lot, but I recall reading glowing reviews of just about
> every
> album she made in her last thirty years. Even the ones where she had about
> two
> notes to her range. And I'm sure she wasn't screwed on royalties from the
> crap
> that made her famous and was kept in print. The sides she made with Jose
> and
> with Marlene Dietrich are pretty gawdawful as well.
>
> As for the Saroyan-Bagdasarian record, yeah, I'd like to find a copy (as
> much
> for that as for the flip side, "Oh Beauty") but I'd stick to embezzlement.
> There are better records to kill for.
>
> dl

I'm with David on this.  I had the great fortune to hear her live at the
Vine Street Grill in LA around 1990,  with a hot little trio led by Tommy
Newsom,  the second-in-command for The Tonight Show band.     She was in
great form,  great voice,  and clearly "at peace" with That Song and the
other old novelties.  It was a great evening of music in that little
club...Nancy Wilson was in the audience and Rosie gave her a nice shout-out.
I recall the musical highlight was a beautiful version of My Shining Hour.

I had the Saroyan record once and actually sold it to a Saroyan book
collector who hadn't been aware of it before I showed it to him.

I have a number of Rosie's later albums on Concord and many of them are
excellent.

Taylor