[78-L] FW: Look at this! Another 'rock historian' telling usabout the 1930s

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 22 19:08:27 PDT 2009

Cary Ginell wrote:

> I'm an Elijah Wald guy. Good people. And who among us has not had errors in our writing?

I'll attest to the errors; the speed at which I have to write as a matter of course almost invites them, and once I'm aware of them I try to fix them. And I have no major qualms about Elijah Wald. But this piece wasn't his best stuff: it was too oversimplified and the mistakes were annoying. And he didn't say anything about how the material Mitch matched to the entertainers he handled negatively affected their careers. Sure, "Come On-a My House" was a huge hit for Rosie Clooney. But she hated the song from the first, and struggled for nearly thirty years to get out from underneath it, ultimately reinventing herself to what she had been before all that got started.

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com