[78-L] Concerning record restoration

martha mlk402 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 21 20:30:35 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anton Shepelev" <anton.txt at gmail.com>

. Two things seized my attention at once (however, the prominence thereof
> varies between tracks). First, the somewhat unnatural (metallic, echoey)
> sound of crackles and
> clicks and similarly unnatural sounds accompanying cymbals.

 No doubt the result of talentless use of "restoration" techniques. Making a
little 'tic' into a nerve-wracking CRACK seems to be one of their
specialties.

Second -- despite the  recordings' sound  being  muffled (lacking the highs)
it can
> be partially mended by just boosting the high frequencies simply using the
> treble dial on my
> amplifier, which means the highs are there,  although at a low level.
>
> As for the first peculiarity, I wonder if they really abuse
> noise-reduction systems to such  an
> extent as to produce audible artefacts?  Or did my hearing fail me?

They abuse, OH how they abuse !!!!

> Concerning the second, I'd  like to know what could be the cause of it.
> Why didn't the engineer equalize the record better?  It  seems unlikely
> that the only culprit is the limited frequency range of the recording
> tract, because  if  I  could  compensate  for  it  using my amp, why
> couldn't they do it too, electrically?

 The second is because they muffled the crud out of it, and they probably
are also  tone-deaf morons. "Engineer" cannot possibly describe the usual
chimps who destroy art, these days.

> I wouldn't have asked it, had I an original 78 rpm  and were able to
> compare its sound to the CDs.

  If you had the 78s, you'd never need to ask these questions!  You would
know how much better they sounded, before Thing One and Thing Two got hold
of them.