[78-L] Arabic Victors

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Aug 21 19:19:05 PDT 2009

Original issues in the Victor 63000 series have 5-lines or 3-lines patents label, and
these batwings are repressings.
I think the Arax Grocery Co. used the shop labels normally for other (imported) products, but
also applied them to these U.S. records.
The 63000 series also includes Greek, French & German music, and even
Stille Nacht by the Nebe Quartett (63813).

Han Enderman
===
>>> I have four ethnic batwing Victors - 63047, 63802, and 63809 are
"Arabian" according to their labels while 69194 is Syrian.  All have
romanized titles as well as Arabic script - details and hi-res label
scans can be found here:

   http://www.hutten.org/rob/78s/index.php?search=arabic

A couple questions:

- The matrix (or take?) numbers for 63809 are "7850b" and "7850 1/2
b".  It's the only record in my small collection with fractional
numbers in the run-off.  Why wouldn't they have just used successive
numbers?

- The store labels on a couple of the records indicate they were
imported to Boston. I assume these records make a round trip across
the ocean, rather than having been pressed overseas?

Any other information that anyone has on these would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Rob
<<<