[78-L] FW: Look at this! Another 'rock historian' telling us about the 1930s

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Fri Aug 21 12:23:03 PDT 2009

This guy, Elijah Wald, has written a book, from which this article is exerpted, entitled "How The Beatles Destroyed Rock 'n' Roll", which is excellent. Don't let the title fool you; The Beatles don't show up until almost the final chapter. The bulk of the book is about, among other things, the parallel careers of Louis Armstrong and Paul Whiteman, both "Kings", and how one is today revered while the other is mostly forgotten or at least ignored -- but in many ways was the most important, certainly at the time. I think it's a great book; it leads on from Richard Sudhalter's work on white jazz, among other things.

And in what other popular book are you going to read extensively about Lawrence Welk and Guy Lombardo? The book is an important corrective to the reigning rock orthodoxy, which of course has the history of music beginning with Elvis, aside from a few assorted Delta blues guitarists. He actually talks at length about POPULAR music, and why it was popular, and why egghead critics (starting long before Rolling Stone Magazine, creating a jazz orthodoxy) dismissed it so.

Jolson gets a good reading here too. I think the folks on this list would really enjoy it.