[78-L] The other "Get Happy"

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 21 05:29:41 PDT 2009

I was reading through Stanley Dance's notes on the Coleman Hawkins LP
"Jazz Tones" (Xanadu 195).

He writes: "A somewhat dated 'rhythm' number by Harold Arlen, its
subsequent popularity with white musicians seems to have derived from
early recorded versions by Frankie Trumbauer and Red Nichols..."

Except the Nichols version on Brunswick 4591 isn't the well-known
Arlen-Koehler one! I only have it on IAJRC LP 22 ("Red Nichols and his
Five Pennies, 1929-1932"), which doesn't give composer credits. Russ
Shor, in his notes, confusingly refers to the famous version as having
been written by Vincent Youmans!

Oddly enough, the Abrams song listing doesn't mention this one, nor does
Jan J. Mulder in his "Same Title, Different Song, Part 3", in Names &
Numbers 36. However, Ty's Brunswick listing shows "Klages-Greer".

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4354 (20090821) __________

http://www.eset.com