[78-L] An interesting phonorecord,,,?!

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Mon Aug 17 09:57:48 PDT 2009

It's always intrigued me how these Shanghai Victors got to the
US/Canada. Surely they were not made for export but internal consumption
within English speaking China?
I've had a little contact with these records. Some of the rarest
recordings by tau Moe were made for Shanghai Victor c. June 1934. The
two that I know of are Vi 54769 and an unknown 2nd in the same series.

Aloha Means I Love You b/w Ua Like No A Like - Vi 54769
There's Nothing Else To Do In Malamokalu b/w Samoan Moon - Vi 54???

I believe Bob Brozman has both but he's not releasing any info about
them. The first one showed up on eBay a few years back and BB paid a
premium price for it!
As to the two questions:
#1: I doubt it
#2: I don't know
I also don't know how high the series went, numerically. Possibly it
stayed within the 54700 - 54799 range if they were recorded in Shanghai
(I'm 95% positive that both the Tau Moe recordings were taken there
because Moe's touring itinerary supports this).
Mal

*******