[78-L] An interesting phonorecord,,,?!

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 02:13:13 PDT 2009

Julian Vein wrote:
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> Going through a milk box containing all Victor records...and found this?!
>>
>> It is a copy of Victor 24678 (two Whiteman sides)...whose manufacturer
>> credit is "Victor Recording Company of China" (IIRC) in Shanghai! Virtually
>> ALL the text on the labels is in English...suggesting it was marketed to
>> English-speaking "round-eyed devils" back in 1934, when it was current...?!
>>
>> So...(1) did this subsidiary operation issue ALL the current Victor records
>> as they were issued in the US Of A...or just records expected to sell to
>> what would seem to be an "emigre" English-speaking audience?
>>
>> And, (2)...did Victor's Chinese operation ever record and issue Chinese
>> artists...?!
>>
>> Steven C. Barr
> I have Victor 25191, Tommy Dorsey: "Alone" & "Two Hears Carved On A
> Lonesome Pine".
>
> Mine says "RCA Victor Co. of China, Shanghai." The label is purple.
> Apart from the titles the text is in English.
>
>       Julian Vein
I forgot to mention that it contains two excruciatingly bad vocals by
Cliff Weston. A pity he didn't avail himself of the facility embodied in
his given name!

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4341 (20090817) __________

http://www.eset.com