[78-L] Rhythmic "sprituals" of the early 1930s

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Aug 14 20:28:14 PDT 2009

No. Once again, I'm speaking of Tin Pan Alley songs using this generic camp meeting flavor. I'm not addressing any specific denominations because I don't know anything about them. I just know a gospel-tinged arrangement and melody when I hear one. The Golden Gate Quartet did these with actual spirituals later in the '30s, but listen to songs like "Oh, Monah," with the call-and-response, the joyous feeling, and the handclapping on the off-beat, and you'll get a sense of this. These are NOT traditional spirituals. They are POP songs that are using the STYLE of a jubilee, which is only one kind of spiritual. I thought that we've given enough examples to get this point across.

Cary Ginell