[78-L] Rhythmic "sprituals" of the early 1930s

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Fri Aug 14 20:21:56 PDT 2009

I'm a bit confused what is meant here by "revival songs."  The gospel songs
of the late nineteenth century/early twentieth century pioneered by Moody
and Sankey?  The music of the emerging Holiness-Pentacostal movement?  Songs
popularized in the twenties by the leading Southern quartets, and spread
through shape-note hymnals?  All that and more might qualify.

Gregg Kimball