[78-L] Rhythmic "sprituals" of the early 1930s

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 14 19:38:30 PDT 2009

I don't remember the Warings' "Jericho" being mentioned -- that seems like it was a very popular song in 1929, recorded by a lot of people and I have it on a Harold Stokes radio transcription from that year. Also "Great Day" -- not as popular, though probably better known to later generations of those in the hobby than "Jericho."

I'm wondering, though, if the premise that the depression led to the popularity of these songs as a matter of response holds up. Both of these pieces were big just before the depression hit. I think that it is possible that popularity of the genre was further fueled by the depression, but started a little before.

Chatauqua was really very popular until the end of the 20s, at which point it was pulled apart by internal political/theological strife, not discontinued due to lack of demand or response from the public. Audiences of the day clearly appreciated wholesome, positive entertainment and the popularity of this stuff in the secular world more likely reflects the public taste for it rather than economic conditions. It becomes less common in the mainstream as we advance further into the Swing era, though by that time regular sacred entertainers were getting more access to the radio, and Gospel recording activity experiences an uptick right around 1937.

That's mainly just a very generalized view, so you are all welcome to pick it apart.

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com

Message: 18