[78-L] Commodore was Remastering re-writ

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:38:19 PDT 2009

GRP began life as an independent label owned by Dave Grusin and Larry Rosen.
Grusin was a jazz pianist, musical director for Andy Williams and others,
and finally a composer for motion pictures (one musician in the American
Jazz Philharmonic, which was originally called The Orchestra, spoke to me of
a large work Grusin composed for the ensemble, and told me it blew the
orchestra away). Rosen was a drummer (he was a member of the Newport Youth
Band, lead by Marshall Brown) who became a respected recording engineer.
Somewhere along the line, GRP was sold to MCA, and MCA told Grusin and
company that they wanted them to supervise an MCA reissue series. At that
point, I believe Grusin was out as a label exec, and Rosen remained. I do
know that Orrin Keepnews was the producer for most if not all of the GRP
historical CDs.

Jeff Sultanof