[78-L] New member / questions

Christopher Steward chris.1picc at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 10:24:06 PDT 2009

--- On Thu, 13/8/09, Matthew Duncan <duncdude2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Matthew Duncan <duncdude2000 at yahoo.com>

I have just obtained a disc from the early 1900s on the GRAMOPHONE MONARCH label - it is 12" size and single sided. I know this was part of the Gramophone and Typewriter company and this in turn became the 'dog and gramophone' pictured HMV label which was the UK equivalent of Victor.

I would like to know the recording date for it though...

HM Band of the Coldstream Guards on Gramophone Monarch Record 0131.
Matrix number - 2167f
Selection - PIRATES OF PENZANCE (SULLIVAN)

Peter Copeland's dating guide gives 20 December 1907 for matrices 2170f to 2180f, so your disc is obviously just before that.

Chris