[78-L] Commodore was Remastering re-writ

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 09:55:52 PDT 2009

Thomas Stern wrote:
> I believe there was a Jelly-Roll Morton complete Commodore (General)
> recordings on GRP.
> Is GRP part of MCA/Universal?  How good/bad is the mastering on the GRP
> series?
> Was the GRP arrangement made after Milt Gablers death?
> Also, looking at currently available Billie Holiday CD's, there is a VERVE
> Commodore
> Master Takes, and the GRP complete set listed.
> Don't see the JRM, nor the Commodore Story....
> Is Jazz of this era (commercially) dead?
> Best wishes, Thomas.
==============
I have the Billie and the JRM GRPs. Both date from 1997.

Other sets in the series: Lester Young CMD 14022, Pee Wee Russell CMD
14042, The Commodore Story CMD 24002 (2xCD) and Wild Bill Davison (The
Commodore Master Takes) CMD 14052

To check the quality I'll have to dig out the Mosaic box sets to compare.

Whilst we're on the subject of Commodore, have the Chu Berrys been
reissued *complete* on CD in good sound?

When Atlantic and Mosaic issued them on LP, they omitted the master
takes from the second session. Mosaic redressed the fault by adding them
to the last box set, but dubbed them from a Mainstream LP, which was in
electronically enhanced stereo!

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4332 (20090813) __________

http://www.eset.com