[78-L] Remastering

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 20:11:08 PDT 2009

Dan Morgenstern still tells the story of a gathering of press and and jazz
historians at RCA to listen to No Noise 'clean-ups' at a pre-release party
for the three-CD set of early BG and his orchestra. While the engineers did
remove a lot of noise, they also took out bass lines and drum parts. Dan
said that some tracks were so bad they sounded like they were played
underwater. This disastrous reception sent engineers back to the drawing
board for that set, which still had many tracks where actual music was
removed.

I will also never forget (and perhaps David, these are the CDs you mean)
when MCA acquired the Commodore catalog and issued Billie Holiday and 'Best
of Commodore' CDs. The sound was distorted and disgusting. Interestingly,
Commodore is a catalog which is still MIA on CD.

That was also when I found out that the people at MCA didn't realize that
they owned a catalog named ABC-Paramount. One of their employees asked me to
'suggest' some reissues to him, of course not offering to pay me a red cent.
I developed a bad memory quickly.

Jeff Sultanof