[78-L] Too late to circle the wagons

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 17:15:39 PDT 2009

WNYC carries some NPR programs like Click and Clack and Prairie Home
Companion but very little musique classique.
Mostly schmoozing about public affairs, art, architecture , music, politics
and other "phone in" ephemera.
There is no dedicated NPR outlet.
But classical music 24 hours a day...that is/was WQXR. No other station
broadcast that repertoire.
There is WKCR, the Columbia University FM station which plays a good deal of
Jazz (much 78 rpm stuff) and classical music but it is a low power station
and doesn't reach me very well here in Maplewood, a scant 25 miles from New
Yawk.
Nope..WQXR was an institution, a jewel, a cultural asset with a lineup of
literate, knowledgeable hosts and a recorded music library going back to the
19th century. All of this is being moved into a sonic closet.
I'd better learn to mambo!

Al (Cha Cha Cha)Simmons