[78-L] Is that your Vinyl answer?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Aug 11 16:30:10 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Too late to circle the wagons

> At 22:23 11/08/2009, you wrote:
>>with a few programs thrown in like
>>Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk on the weekends.
>
> I could do without Prairie Home Companion and its pretentiousness.
> Give me the Vinyl Cafe on CBC Radio One any day.

Interesting what sounds pretentious to one sounds OK to another.

I can't think of anyone on Public Radio whom I find  more obnoxious and
overly mannered  than  Stewart (Stuart?) McLean on Vinyl Cafe.  The only
part of Prairie Home Companion that really rubs me the wrong way is the
Report from  Lake Woebegone,  and McLean frequently offers his own pale
imitation of it,  which is even worse.    The pitch of his voice for me is
like nails on the blackboard.  And...I find most of the music McLean plays
to be about as dull and forgettable as what you hear on Open Mike night at
the local college watering hole.

But hey,  that's just me...even the worst of Public Radio is about ten times
better than most commercial radio these days.

And, regardless of our individual tastes,  I do think there has been a
general decline in the quality of public radio,  both on the local and
network fronts.  We are all the poorer for that.

Taylor