[78-L] Kovacs (Was: Corvairs &c -- Was: half track tapes)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Aug 9 22:52:11 PDT 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Thought it was unfamiliarity with where the lighter was located,
> since it was Edie's car and it was new.

Yeah, he drove to the party in the Rolls Royce (a Studer??) He took his
eyes off the road to light the cigar and the car fishtailed on the wet
pavement.  Heavy rear end or suspension, it amounted to the same thing.

> (Ernie's "Nairobi Trio" theme was on 78s..boy, we're reaching.) dl

Not at all.  He actually did a lot of things on and with 78s.  Remember
the Top Tunes 78s by the Tony DeSimone Trio, starting with his theme
"Oriental Blues", and the one he recorded with them, "Hot Cakes and
Sausage".  They were both reissued on Decca but remember the controversy
we started when we told Irwin Chusid that there was 30 seconds missing
from the Decca master tape he used on the Varese Sarabande CD "The Ernie
Kovacs Record Collection."  On MGM Kovacs did "Hey, Taxi!" on the flip
of the LeRoy Holmes 1957 "Oriental Blues" which I have on a 45 but I
assume was also on 78.  Was it?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

 Steven C. Barr wrote:
> [...]
Pontiac