[78-L] Who is the artist on these early Columbia's

Craig Ventresco craigventresco at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 11:39:35 PDT 2009

Hi,
Early Columbia records like these can have the same serial numbers and
different artists, depending on which take you get. For example, in my
collection I have three versions of Columbia 876 "Mr. Dooley". One is by
Edward M. Favor, one by Joe Natus and one by Will F. Denny. Some of these
were originally Climax records (and some of those first were issued on
Globe). In other words, you need check the take numbers, and then refer to
Tim Brooks' Columbia discography. OR--play them because they might be
announced. My 7" Columba of Bill Bailey is by Roberts, but I also have a ten
inch by Collins (same serial number, of course). I have Ain't Dat a Shame by
Denny, but have heard other takes by other artists. These are both from
1902. I guess back then Columbia and other companies considered the artists
interchangable, and the songs themselves to sell the records. I am no expert
on this stuff, but I am really into early discs like these, and probably
could tell you who is singing on yours if you want to put them on here.
I knew one collector who was really into Edward M. Favor and searched for
years for a copy of Columbia 111 ("Who threw the Overhaulls in Mistress
Murphy's Chowder?" ) as sung by him. and kept turning them up by Denny,
Quinn...but no Favor. Finally he found one.
Columbia issued so many takes of some titles  in these early days that the
collector of this kind of stuff will never get bored. Billy Golden recorded
"Turkey in the Straw" over and over and over, and they're all good. Recently
I found take 6, which has the most intense ragtime piano accompaniment. The
others have piano acc also, but none compare with this take--of those I have
heard...
Hope thi helps a little...