[78-L] another trivia question

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Wed Aug 5 00:09:27 PDT 2009

Did anybody answer this one? I'll guess "Hear My Prayer" (which by the way
stayed in print on Canadian Victor from the original recording, not the remake).

No, Dave, nobody else came in on this one.  You are correct.  I was quite intrigued by these English collectors and their facination with this recording.  I don't think the record had quite the same following in Canada and if one found a Canadian pressing in good condition it's probably as good as any single letter pressing from the UK.  A few days after I met these collectors I went to the Temple Church and met Ernest Lough.  He described the situation of the recording of Hear My Prayer and that was the first time I knew that there were two different recordings - although the records and their labels looked identical.  The first recording was stamped as take III on both sides while the second recording was stamped as take VI on side one and take VIII on side two.  I took this little gem of information back to the collectors and discovered that they were all unaware of this so we all got busy going through the piles of "Hear My Prayer"s and
 separating them into the two versions.  I bought extra copies of each recording, (I had already purchased the earliest two letter version I could find), and took them back to Temple Church to have Ernest Lough autograph both of them.  He could not recall ever having done that before, (he was quite an old man when I met him), so I'm likely the only collector with an autographed copy of each version.

db