[78-L] dubs

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 13:05:49 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:41 PM, DAVID BURNHAM <burnhamd at rogers.com> wrote:

> I just found a Hank Snow record where side A is a dub and side B is an
> original pressing.  I'm curious to know how one side's stamper gets worn out
> faster than the other side's if they both make the same number of records.

Sometimes, a stamper breaks.  Witness 'South' by Benny Moten.  Originally
Victor V-38021, this 1928 record was reissued in 1934/1935 on Victor 24893.
 What I understand is, a few early pressings of 24893 have 'South' from the
original metal, but after it broke, a dub was made and used ever after,
whereas 'She's no trouble' was always from the original metal AFAIK.  (My
copy has the circle label, 1R for the take digit, and has the typical mid-30
style leadout spiral but the oval VE logo.)