[78-L] another trivia question

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Tue Aug 4 13:02:28 PDT 2009

If anyone's interested in another trivia question, here's one for you:

I think everyone on this list will know that the Gramophone company in England put a letter at the 3:00 o'clock position of a record which indicated how many stampers have been made up to the point of the production of the disc, (I'm not expressing this very well because I'm not 100% sure of the designation).   These letters were assigned in sequence to spell out "Gramophone Company" and when they got to the last letter they started over again with pairs of letters starting with GR then GA  then GM etc.  Most records you find have a single letter and often it's a "G", but when I was in England in the late 70s, I discovered that several collectors were searching for a specific record and were really envied if they were able to find a copy with a single letter, even if it wasn't a "G".  They all had several copies with various combinations of two letters or more and vied with each other to get the earliest combination.  None of them had a single letter
 version, (one had a one letter copy which was broken).

Any idea what that record may have been?

db