[78-L] Sharing sequence numbers between labels

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Aug 3 19:15:45 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Aherne" <leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com>
>I think it's very much easier to have a single catalogue number for each of
>the ARC
> dime-store releases. Before 1935 there were separate numbers for Banner,
> Perfect,
> Oriole, Romeo, and Melotone and some issues were probably cross-coupled.
> *That's* a bigger headache!
>
> Which leads me to ask something I'd been wondering: the three-part numbers
> were
> universal for the ARC dime-store labels, I presume, but was everything
> *actually* released
> on each label? Oriole and Romeo from the 1935-38 period are not easy to
> find, in my
> experience, and that leads me to question whether everything that appeared
> on Melotone
> really had a release on these more elusive makes. The problem is elided in
> discographies
> by the convention of referring to one of these issues as "ARC 7-01-01", et
> al. That
> *would* be the number if there was a Romeo or Oriole pressing, but I'm
> just curious
> whether copies of each catalogue number under each label (or nearly so)
> are known.

Beginning in (around) mid-1936, ARC quit issuing most of its "client
labels"...probably
because the clients noticed they no longer sold all that well...?! IIRC, I
have seen Romeos
with 7-01-xx numbers...the highest Orioles I have seen are around 6-09-xx. I
am VERY
interested in establishing the highest catalog/date numbers for each of
these ARC labels?!

Steven C. Barr