[78-L] Josephine Baker / Australian 78 recording factory sites

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 2 07:40:48 PDT 2009

I think the US Columbia LPs were reissued from the older Columbias. Post war
she was recording for Pacific in Paris, whose sides were issued in England on
Nixa who then licensed them to Mercury in the States..this flurry of reissue
activity occurred when she did a US tour in 1951 (and was refused service at
the Stork Club and smeared by Walter Winchell).

Before Columbia, she recorded for French Odeon, 24 sides (1926-27), 20 of which
came out on a Sony Art Deco CD (shouldn't Capitol-EMI sue for those?).

dl