[78-L] Josephine Baker / Australian 78 recording factory sites

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Sun Aug 2 07:30:16 PDT 2009

Josephine Baker began recording for French Columbia in July 1930.(Col DF
229..."Le petite Tonkinoise") She made approx. 44 or so additional sides up
to January 1939.
Post-WW II she resumed recording some of which were issued on a set of ten
inch LP's issued by Columbia in England under the title "Cabaret Night In
Paris"
The pair of titles you mentioned were recorded in Paris in November 1937.
Her heroic actions as part of the French Underground resistance movement are
well documented.
She, along with Adelaide Hall in England, did not scurry back to the states
as war clouds gathered. (Gracie Fields skedaddled.)
Baker did indeed have "Two Loves."   (J'ai deux amours"  Col DF-229)

Al Simmons