[78-L] Ellington side...

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jul 30 22:27:21 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> It was issued as Columbia 35240, backed with Bouncing Buoyancy. Pretty
> sure I
> have it. I don't have that Philco issue but I have 3 or 4 others..you
> first
> showed me a Gene Autry disc in that series years ago. I have an album for
> them.
> Anyone know if they were given away by Philco dealers or how they were
> distributed?

I'd forgotten I have (I hope?!) the Autry Philco! Near as I can tell, they
were all
Columbia or CBS material; since there is no spoken promo content, it looks
like
Philco made an arrangement with CBS to get the discs pressed. I would guess
they were either given away or sold cheaply by Philco dealers, to promote
their
radio-phonograph sets!

Wonder if 35240 makes any mention, even indirectly, of the "Master Records"
origin of the side?

Steven C. Barr